In light of recent events that have magnified the pain, suffering and disparities of people of color in our community and nation, our Executive Leadership team has been reflecting on how we at Hospice Care of Southwest Michigan can do our part to help heal and overcome structural racism in health care and for our community. As an organization that takes care of people as they age and cope with illness and loss, we recognize that discrimination causes suffering and disparities at all stages of life. We know that we need to do more. Solutions to these issues can only be found through listening and taking real action to face any injustices.
Some of the actions we are committed to include:
1. Delivering end of life care with compassion and cultural humility to all people in our community.
2. Continuing to ensure that our Board of Directors reflects the diversity of our community and striving to have our work force reflect that as well.
3. Continuing to partner with a Diversity and Inclusion consultant and improving our ability to lead meaningful change.
4. We contributed over 1 million dollars to start the WMED palliative care fellowship program and are deeply involved in this work. We commit to ensuring this fellowship program is inclusive and equitable in partnership with WMED and other organizations involved.
5. We observe and understand that there are great inequities across health care and pledge to ensure that this changes in our work. We will continue to seek out and collaborate with others in our community and profession to help eliminate health inequities that impact access and quality care at end of life.
6. Exploring more resources for training and development for all in our agency.
One of our strengths as an agency is our ability to provide care that honors an individual’s dignity. This can only happen when we truly respect, care for and honor the individual uniqueness of each human being. We want to care for and serve everyone. We hold ourselves accountable to taking real action on behalf of our employees, our clients, caregivers and community members. We commit to standing and working together with our community in these efforts.